RE: Word95 Support

Hilton Travis (QuarkComputers@email.com)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:02:35 +1000

Hi Justin,

> Since both of you asked about Word95 support, I'll just respond once.

At least this way I know I'm not alone in this! :-)

> I expect their to eventually be Word95 support in Abiword. However, the
> file formats are very complex and very poorly documented, so it will take
> some time. A new implementation of the Word97 import code will be in place
> soon, which may make it easier to add Win95 import, as well.

The Word97 format, I thought, was slightly more complex again. Microsoft
did make sure that MS Word 97 would be fully compatible with MS Word
95/6.0 - and we all know how successful that little effort was! I hope that
the new MS Word 97 import code will, and for that matter can't see why it
wouldn't, also be the same as MS Word 95/6.0.

> In the meantime, the RTF format might be an adequate solution to transfer
> documents between word processors.

RTF format is adequate in many situations, however the Microsoft Word 95/6.0
format is probably as widely accepted, if not more so. It is good to see
that you do have both RTF and HTML export formats. With any luck, HTML will
start to be more widely accepted - at least it is (relatively)
cross-platform.

Regards,
Hilton Travis