Re: Buliding 0.7.3 on Win32

Jeff Hostetler (jeff@abisource.com)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:38:57 -0500

At 06:39 PM 7/15/99 -0700, Alan Young wrote:
>Jeff Hostetler wrote:
>>
>> it'd probably be more correct to say that i've gone thru those
>> nasty hacks so that i can compile abiword.exe on a non-c drive,
>> but haven't had time/desire/motivation to hack all the way thru
>> the build process and include the parts used by the setup program.
>>
>> sorry.
>>
>> can you get it to compile everything if you build it on your c drive ??
>
>Oh...Sorry, I did not realize there was that much dependency on where
>the source was located.

yea, the problem is that the MS tools use dos-style pathnames "[x:]\...\..."
and the cygnus tools use unix-style pathnames **and** have ambiguous
root: for example, "/.../..." is an absolute path on the disk you're on
(just like on dos), but "//x/.../..." is an absolute path on disk 'x'.
ordinarily, it'd be easy to just sed the '/' to '\' but a "\\x\...\..."
pathname looks to NT like a network pathname (on host 'x'). sigh.

so you need unix-style pathnames in the makefiles and with the gnu
tools, but dos-style pathnames on the MS tools -- but, the MS tools
do respect some unix-style pathnames in certain contexts (like loader
scripts and include files but not on the command line).

so the nasty sed trick you've seen on various command lines in the
makefile changes the output of `pwd` [ "//x/.../..." when on
drive x or "/.../..." when on drive c ] into "\...\..."

i won't bother to mention the problems i had when the non-c disk was
a samba partition on a unix server (where case matters).... (and where
".." references sometimes get confused).

>Since Win-anything tends to like to install everything and anything to C:
>and then trash the system partition when it feels like it, I do my best
>to install projects and programs to other drives/partitions. The one nice
>thing about NT is you can rearrange drive letters on the fly. :)
>I swapped drive letters and did a make clean and then a make distribution
>and now it builds. Can a note about this be placed in the src/readme.txt?

cool. yes, we can add a note. and i agree i hate to splatter everything
on my c drive.

>If you can tell me what to look for to clean this up, I'd be more than
>happy to start looking at the makefiles.

sure. move stuff back to your other drive and try again. it should build
the .exe just fine. the makefiles in the packaging directories tend to use
their own rules (rather than the ones in abi/src/config/abi_rules.mk), so
you may just need to propagate some of the 'enhanced' command lines for
compile and linking. but then there are more rules in there that create
intermediate source files, so you may need to hack on them (if this is the
case see the places where we generate source files in abi/src/wp/ap/xp
for the splash and sidebar). other than that, it's just a try it and
fix it as it breaks....

hope this helps and thanks for the help,
jeff