Word importer

Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 12:15:27 -0500 (CDT)

The cvs version of Abiword is using the new libwv for Word importing, and
I want to make sure it's compiling for everybody.

If so, then is it also importing for everyone?

Caolan says it should handle Word 6 and 8 files, and maybe even Word 7
(aka Word95).

If anyone can help test these, please give us some feedback (including
formatting oddities). I guess just email me directly (attached docs help),
unless many others on the list want to hear it, too?

I'd like to see Abiword handle paragraph and character formatting
flawlessly for versions 6 & 8 (and 7 if possible) in time for the
LinuxWorld Expo.

Oh, the current importer should handle paragraph alignment (left, right,
center) and bold, italic, underlined, and striked-through text. I'll add
font size tonight and different fonts soon (tonight if the mapping isn't
too complicated). Complex (fast-saved) docs seem to have incorrect
character formatting still. I'll try to track that down as well.

And speaking of the expo, can we look forward to any cool new features for
it?

Justin