.abw namespace, documentation?

Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:32:48 -0500

I see the abiword format is based on XML. nifty!

A suggestion: how about a namespace identifier to
document your tag vocabulary?

i.e. where it currently writes:

=======
<!-- You may obtain more information about AbiWord at
www.abisource.com -->
[...]

<abiword version="0.7.3">
=======

how about:

<abiword xmlns="http://www.abisource.com/1999/abw-0.7.3">

or:
<abiword xmlns="http://www.abisource.com/1999/abw-0.7.3"
version="0.7.3">

and put some information about the tags at that address...
an XML schema would be really cool.

Is there any documentation on the tags? I tried to UTSL and
I came up with:

http://www.abisource.com/lxr/source/abi/src/wp/impexp/xp/ie_exp_AbiWord_1.cpp

to actually support namespaces, the code that reads the file
shouldn't care what prefix is used; for example, this should work:

<ab:abiword xmlns:ab="http://www.abisource.com/1999/abw-0.7.3"
version="0.7.3">
<ab:section>....</ab:section>
</ab:abiword>

and I suggest that for evolvability, you allow extensions from other
namespaces ala:

<abiword xmlns="http://www.abisource.com/1999/abw-0.7.3"
xmlns:sm="http://my.org/1999/abi-smellovision-extension">

...</div>