Re: problem report, compiling from CVS on Linux

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.abisource.com)
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 15:46:00 -0500

Moses DeJong wrote:
> I hate to sound like a broken record here, but I not get a font related
> error when I start the compiled (dynamic) executable. The application
> pops up a dialog that says "Found no fonts.dir in font path ...". My
> system has a bunch of fonts.dir files installed in the default locations.
> Why can't abi find them? Do I need to set some env var or something?
> I looked at other messages in the mailing list archives but I did not
> see a solution to the problem.
>
> % find /usr/X11R6 -name fonts.dir
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.dir
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/fonts.dir
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/fonts.dir
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/fonts.dir
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/fonts.dir

Assuming you've installed one of the packages (.tar.gz static
or dynamic) before, and put it in /usr/local/AbiSuite:

setenv ABISUITE_HOME /usr/local/AbiSuite
-or-
set ABISUITE_HOME=/usr/local/AbiSuite; export ABISUITE_HOME

Then run the binary. Then you'll get another error telling you
AbiWord can't find a given font through the X server. Do
xset fp+ /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts. Run the binary again and it
should work.

There is a wrapper script installed in /usr/local/AbiSuite/bin/
called (wow) AbiWord. It's where symlinks in /usr/local/bin
point. If you haven't installed from a package before, you
won't have any of this.

I'm now fixing that problem so a user can just do "make install"
and then "abiword" and everything will run. Expect the changes,
along with some updated web content, any day now.

--
Shaw Terwilliger