Re: Compile error w/STATIC

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.abisource.com)
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 21:00:02 -0500

On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 09:16:40PM -0500, torsten@inetw.net wrote:
> System:
> Slackware 3.6

I've got a system based off Slackware 3.[somethingearly] at home.

> Compile crapped out, could not find -ldl so I went to
> /abi/src/wp/main/unix and I commented out line 56 in the
> Makefile, #STATIC_LDFLAGS = $(STATIC_FLAGS) and AbiWord
> built a binary. It appears both AbiWord_s and AbiWord_d
> are built. I copied the dictionary and icons directories
> from abidistfiles (also just checked out).

You can also do "make UNIX_CAN_BUILD_STATIC=0" and it won't
even try to do the static binary. This isn't well documented
but should appear on the web site as we roll out 0.7.1.

> Neither binary executes. A blank, gtk-grey box pops up
> on the screen and I get at console:
> bigdell:/home/torsten/abi/src/Linux_2.0.35_i386_OBJ/bin# ./AbiWord_d
> Segmentation fault
> bigdell:/home/torsten/abi/src/Linux_2.0.35_i386_OBJ/bin# ./AbiWord_s
> Segmentation fault

The problem is most likely libpng. I have the same problem at home
on my libc5 machine, and we probably get one message to the list
weekly about this (or at least it seems like it). I don't know of
anyone, personally, using AbiWord with libpng (which the splash
screen uses--that's what you're seeing) on a libc5 box. You can
start AbiWord like "AbiWord -nosplash".

If you're updating from the CVS tree, make sure you also do a
"make install" after you build the sources. This will create the
right wrapper script for the binary and put the fonts in the right
spot. "make install" will just install things in $(prefix)/AbiSuite
and $(prefix)/bin, where $(prefix) is /usr/local by default.
You'd get /usr/local/AbiSuite with support files (fonts, dicts,
samples) and /usr/local/bin with two symbolic links to the binaries.

I think the actual problem is with libpng or the C library (libc5).
I've tried building libpng with all sorts of compilers (GCC 2.7.2.3,
EGCS 1.0, EGCS 1.1, EGCS 1.2 and lots of snapshots in-between).
All of my apps which use libpng don't read png files right (gimp,
xv, AbiWord). gimp seems to be able to write them just fine.

--
Shaw Terwilliger