Re: Borland/MetroWorks compilers on Windows

Jeff Hostetler (jeff@abisource.com)
Sun, 06 Jun 1999 10:58:57 -0500

"Derek J. Williams" wrote:

> I hope to get off of Windows asap, but in the interim, is it possible to
> use the borland compilers, CPPBuilder or C++ to build abiword? Or
> MetroWorks

we don't know -- please, let us know it it works.... :-)

seriously, we use GNU make,bash,etc. and the MS C++ compiler.
as long as the borland kit has reasonably up-to-date header
files, you should be ok. a bit of warning: some of the makefiles
have some nasty pathname tricks to get bash's unix-style pathnames
and MSVC's dos-style pathnames to place nicely together.

something else you might try is to use GCC and point it at
borland's copy of the MS header files, but you'll still need
to use the resource compiler to get some of the dialogs & icons
built....

if you're not going to be on windoze very much longer, you might
want to just use the pre-compiled binaries of 0.7.0 that we posted
a few weeks ago (0.7.1 will be up in a few days).

hope this helps,
jeff