Re: Fishing for advice...

Caolan McNamara (Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie)
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 17:23:05 +0100 (IST)

On 23-Jun-99 Shaw Terwilliger wrote:

>I believe that's all mswordview code, which is a package we just based
>our importer on. We have a crew (Justin Bradford and me, really) writing
>a new importer using mswordview as a library interface; it should be
>much cleaner and shouldn't spew 10 pages of warnings.

btw, i just gave abi a compile last night i was a bit miffed to see the
spew of errors from mswordview (a bit shamed really). And i wondered about
the errors from constructs like

unsigned char test:3;

I think that this results only in a warning with gcc's -traditional option, but
id like to be reassured that bitfields are an actual part of ansi c, and that
there no hidden compiler dependancy in using them ?, anyone know ?

C.

p.s. i put up a temporary development version of mswordview at
http://www.csn.ul.ie/~caolan/publink/mswordview/development/
which should be a better base to put an importer on top of. comes with a
libwv.a, and has a sample usage in wvText which should make importing word
files easier. Im putting some work into it at the moment, so it only is
guaranteed to work with fullsave files, and then only outputs the main body
text with <p></p> at each para boundary, though the correct paragraph
properties for each paragraph are correctly assembled at each para start
boundary.

Im working on a config mechanism which i hope will allow a native copy of
wv to be used as the importer with a minimum of changes for abiword, im
going to give a try over the course of this week to make it interface as
nicely as possible to abiword, and other word processers as the kword
folk expressed an interest in using it as an importer as well.

I'm going to try to have wv support abiword natively, with the advantage
that fixes to the main tree of wv can automatically benefit abiword, i'll
let you know if it works out.

Real Life: Caolan McNamara * Doing: MSc in HCI
Work: Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie * Phone: +353-61-202699
Re-evaluation (a warm feeling)