Intro, BeOS

crawford@goingware.com
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 21:42:24 -0800

Hi,

I want to introduce myself. I just discovered AbiWord at the Linux Expo today.

I've been a long-time fan of open source ever since I sat down and read the
GNU Emacs source code in the late 80's. I'd been programming a while but
didn't think I really wanted to stay with it. Reading Emacs' code and the
FSF's mission is what made me decide I really wanted to stay in programming.

I'm afraid I've not done a lot in the way of open source, but I have done some.
I give away an SDK for having external spellcheckers work with email and word
processors. I developed the Word Services Suite as a new way to sell my
spellchecker but made the protocol open and vendor neutral, and the protocol
spec and source code are on the web at http://www.wordservices.org

I spoke with a fellow from AbiSource today about a BeOS port. He said a
fellow from QNX was starting in on it, and I want to see if there was anything I
can do to help. I'm afraid I can't do too much in the way of actual coding right
now but I have a lot of experience with porting and I may be able to round up
some other programmers too. It is likely I could help later, and also I could
get Word Services working on MacOS and BeOS.

Regards,

Mike Crawford
crawford@goingware.com
http://www.goingware.com