Debugging information in documents

FoulDragon@aol.com
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:00:46 EST

I noticed something interesting when I catted an AbiWord document... it was
proceeded with a comment header like this:
<!--
== -->
<!-- This file is an AbiWord document.
-->
<!-- AbiWord is a free, Open Source word processor.
-->
<!-- You may obtain more information about AbiWord at www.abisource.com
-->
<!-- You should not edit this file by hand.
-->
<!--
== -->

<!-- Build_ID = dracolisk250-root -->
<!-- Build_Options = JavaScript:Off Debug:On -->
<!-- Build_Target = Linux_2.2.0_i386_DBG -->
<!-- Build_CompileTime = 18:19:45 -->
<!-- Build_CompileDate = Feb 23 1999 -->

In and of itself, it is nonoffencive, especially the advertisement, which
should clarify the file to those who have never seen an AbiWord doc before.
However, recalling the recent embedded-serial-number fiascos with the Pentium
III and MicroSoft products, I was wondering if the bottom stuff would be
removed in the release version's output. The 'Build_ID' field with hostname
in particular could make a document easier to trace to a source machine,
assuming AbiWord on that box was built locally. This could evoke privacy
concerns. I will admit that it is desirable to have debugging included in the
output of the beta version, and it's in plain text and plain view for the
paranoid who would be concerned, so it's better than some ways of including
it.