AbiWord: compliments, and a note about reading html

Jeff Evarts (jde@eng.us.uu.net)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 12:27:15 -0500

First just let me say WOW! I *really* like the 0.5.2 release.
Sharp, stable, the whole shmear. I built it yesterday and
played around with it some.

Things I like:
Visual appeal.
Clean & easy on the eyes, which is nice when
you're using word processors a lot. Not a lot
of fancy visual crud to tire the eye. Nice.
Screen update speed:
Typing at full speed was not a problem, nor was
scrolling the window. Both of those are much
improved over previous versions.
WYSIWYG printing
Well, I haven't tried it yet. But I will in the
next day or so.

I noticed two (very minor) bugs:
If the text on one line takes up every last pixel on that
line, spaces following the last character are prepended to
the next line, resulting in an uneven left edge.

Using the arrow keys when traversing menus, the separators
are apparently visited when you use the up/down arrow keys,
because the cursor vanishes when crossing them, but reappears
when you press up or down again.

On the subject of why READING html is hard:
One gentleman stated something to the effect: "Gee, if
you can write html you should be able to read it". This
is kinda like me with speaking spanish. I have a very
limited vocabulary, but I can usually make a useful
sentence. If someone fluent in spanish responds to me
in other than my little vocabulary, I'm lost.

HTML is like that. It's complex and huge. It might not
be a bad idea (and a first level of achievement) if we
could read back the same subset we write out, but the
authors here are correct. HTML is HARD HARD HARD.

(Just note that neither Microsoft nor Netscape are fully
compliant after years of effort on the parts of multiple
full-time programmers. And then there's the fact that the
standard keeps changing in ways that make it incompatible
with previous versions)

--
Jeff Evarts
jde@eng.us.uu.net