Re: wxWin vs. AbiSource framework

Brian Marick (marick@testing.com)
Mon, 08 Nov 1999 14:16:45 -0600

At 02:44 PM 11/7/99 , Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> For example, in a former life, I used to maintain one of the
>frameworks used by Adobe Systems for their software. As such, I was
>one of the only people on the team (and we're talking multiple teams
>of 10+ people per team) who ever touched platform-centric code. All
>of the platform-centricity, from file I/O and memory management all
>the way up to windows, dialogs & widgets had been abstracted out.
>And if you look at any Adobe product, it looks and feels like a
>native application, because it is!

Strange, because Abobe products have always felt non-native to me. For
example, look at the way scrolling works in Acrobat on Windows. The
downarrow key moves in page units, rather than in line units. The Page Down
key stops at page boundaries instead of allowing the bottom of one page to
be visible with the top of the next, even if that means it scrolls only one
line. Acrobat's design is NOT the look and feel Windows/Word users are used
to. (The way it foils my reflexes drives me crazy.) Is that a conscious
decision to carry a different standard to Windows, or is it a consequence
of the cross-platform tools? If the latter, Adobe tools would seem to be a
counteraxample to your point, not an example.

--
Brian Marick, Reliable Software Technologies, http://www.rstcorp.com
Testing essays and FAQs at http://www.rstcorp.com/marick/

"Let every student of nature take this as his rule, that whatever the mind seizes upon with particular satisfaction is to be held in suspicion." -- Francis Bacon, Novum Organum, 1620.