Re: Fonts and XFree 4.0

Subject: Re: Fonts and XFree 4.0
From: Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 14:15:55 CST

> Cool! Any idea what the ETA for this solution will be? I'm presuming it'll
> be a while before this capability is developed, much less widely deployed.

I believe it is slated for 4.0, and I would estimate it will move into the
mainstream within 6 months. A lot of 4.0 works already, and many people
use it for daily purposes (I'm going to be moving over to it soon). Once
the core is finished, and all of the drivers ported and debugged, I expect
a 4.0 release. Many, but not all, of the new extensions and modules will
probably be ready, and others will get added with later 4.0 releases.

Anyway, once 4.0 is out, I expect people will upgrade pretty quickly.
It's a major improvement over the 3.x series-- loadable drivers (no more
monolithic servers), improved font support, DRI for 3D, DDC monitor
support, DGA2, etc.

Justin