Re: src.rpm?

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.sourcegear.com)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 12:28:32 -0500

Chuck Mead wrote:
> I am looking for the spec file for the rpm which is why I need the src.rpm
> file. Is that not open source?

The spec file is in the source tree. The way we build RPMs is pretty
backwards, but we do it to automate the process. Thus, our source
RPM is about 80 MB, it includes every peer CVS module needed to build
our tree, plus the object code from the _real_ compile. The
source RPM expands in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES, it runs a dry
make (nothing to be built), does the install, the packs everything
up and cleans up.

To make a real source RPM, we'd have to build different binaries
for the RPM, static .tar.gz, and dynamic .tar.gz, which (besides
adding to headaches of support and QA), would double the time
it takes our build hosts to run through the build.

If you want to take a look at how this process works, look at
abi/src/pkg/linux, at the Makefile's rpm targets.

--
Shaw Terwilliger