Re: options dialog & preferences

Jeff Hostetler (jeff@abisource.com)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 15:50:24 -0500

Stephen Hack wrote:
> With pleasure. now I can stop looking for methods to change whatever i need.
> I will be adding a toggleSpellingListener( ... ) function to work with the
> AV_View class

is toggle-spell a per-document or app-wide setting ??
i wasn't involved with much of the spell-check code,
so i'll defer to paul for comment here. the reason
i ask is that rather than hooking into AV_View, you
may have to hook into the App and let it deal with
frames and views if necessary.

> > [4] down with the OK and Cancel buttons, I'd like to have a
> > "restore factory settings" button -- which would set the
> > current scheme back to _builtin_ and nuke any other schemes
> > in memory.
>
> Good idea, but do we actually need to nuke other schemes? The reason why I'm
> asking is because we could add some nice advanced functionality of allowing
> the user to select which scheme to use. That way, he can save multiply
> preferences and can switch back and forth rather quickly.

yes i'd rather be able to switch back and forth (but i consider
that an advanced feature), so for now the 'restore' button
should just do a change scheme to '_builtin_' (and don't
forget to do a notify to the listeners).

> > longer term, i'd also like to have a "save settings" button next

yes, you discovered/identified the various ill-defined mess
that i created. i don't have brain cells for it now, we can
come back to this issue after we have everything else going.

> I will work this into the next update of the dialog (i.e., the next patch
> mailing)

great!!

if there are any inter-linked fields (like clicking a checkbox
disables/enables a set of related fields), try to keep the
binding logic in XP code as paul and shaw are working thru with
the Paragraph dialog.

thanks again,
jeff