POW -- Usability Test #1

Eric W. Sink (eric@sourcegear.com)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 16:20:26 -0500

For all of you non-programmers out there who might be lurking here on
abiword-dev, this week's POW (Project of the Week) is something
*anyone* (and everyone) can do.

In a nutshell, the task is to evaluate the actual usability of AbiWord
by using it to write and print a real letter, paying attention to
everything that annoyed you, and sending a report of your experiences
to abiword-dev.

A lot of times, we focus so much of our attention on building software
that we forget to take time to find out how usable it really is. The
exercise of using AbiWord for a real purpose may reveal an irritating
behavior which we need to fix. Alternatively, it may result in the
satisfaction of noticing that AbiWord does not interfere with the
process of using it for simple real world tasks. Either way, the
project has benefited.

Can't think of anyone to whom you would write a letter? Sorry, that
excuse won't fly here. :-) Our suggestion is that you write a letter
of thanks to someone who recently gave you good service in a retail or
similar environment. This is a good choice, because:

1. It's easy, and the resulting letter is probably short.

2. AbiWord can handle it. Writing a letter requires no advanced
formatting features.

3. It gives you a chance to make the world a better place. :-) For
many people in a service position, a letter of thanks can mean
even more than a gratuity.

<digression>

This is one specific example of a situation where a word processor is
required and email just doesn't work as well. Put it in writing, on
paper. Your letter will make someone's day, and it will find its way
onto a bulletin board or into a personnel file.

My letter will be written to commend the excellent service I recently
received in purchasing a new car battery at AutoZone.

For yours, almost any service position is eligible, including waiters,
flight attendants or whoever delivers your newspaper. :-)

</digression>

To complete this POW, you need to perform all of the following steps:

1. Use AbiWord to write and print the letter.

2. Pay attention to everything annoying you encounter during your use
of AbiWord. Don't forget to examine the printed copy to make sure
it looks correct.

3. Actually send it. :-)

4. Send email to abiword-dev, describing the experience of using
AbiWord. The goal here is to find out just how usable AbiWord
really is for a simple task.

5. If you find a bug while using AbiWord for this POW, log it in
Bugzilla. (Check first to see if the bug is already in there.)

6. And please, be careful not to break your arm while patting
yourself on the back for being such a good person. :-)

PS: For more background on the whole POW / ZAP / SHAZAM concept, see the
following introduction: