Re: Xml and gnome

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.sourcegear.com)
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:00:08 -0500

Bruno Clermont wrote:
> Instead of the internal xml engine, the gnome lib-xml can be use... sharing
> code is a good thing, the gnome project use this library, both world can
> earn a lot of this wedding, perhaps new developper will contribute to
> abiword. and what about gdk-pixbuf for graphic, druid for configuration
> process like m.s. wizard, gnome-print, libglade to modify the interface on
> the fly, gnomba/bonobo, etc.

AbiWord is a cross-platform application, which means it runs on
Unix, Windows, and BeOS (and soon more, I hear). If we use these
components, we either isolate them to one platform (Unix), or use them
in a cross-platform way (gnome-xml should work for this). Configuration
processes, printing, and component architecture are all hard problems,
and they become three times as hard when you have to solve them for
three architectures.

We plan on using GNOME components for a GNOME front-end for AbiWord
(and have that front-end under development now).

--
Shaw Terwilliger