Re: Problem compiling abi

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.sourcegear.com)
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 02:06:56 -0500

simon@tdc.tijp.ti.com wrote:
> I donwloaded the latest version of abi (0.7.5) to
> install it on my Linux box (slack 4.0, kernel 2.2.6)

> Linking static /usr/local/src/abi-0.7.5/src/../src/Linux_2.2.6_i386_OBJ/bin/AbiWord_s
> /usr/i386-pc-linux-gnulibc1/bin/ld: cannot open -ldl: No such file or directory

I believe your problem is that Slackware still ships libc5 as its
C library, which includes the dl_* functions (we assume we need to
link against libdl). You can just tell AbiWord not to build the
static version (you don't need it if you have a dynamic version)
with "make UNIX_CAN_BUILD_STATIC=0".

If you want to make the static build work, you could edit
abi/src/config/platforms/linux.mk to tell it that the dl flags
should be empty. However, these days, it's a very small minority
of Linux machines that do things this way.

--
Shaw Terwilliger