feedback

Thomas.Wolff@icn.siemens.de
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:58:31 +0200 (MEST)

Hello,
I've just come across the Abiword project and I appreciate the project
very much. So far I have only a few basic comments:
* Unfortunately, I cannot evaluate the Linux version as it does not display
any fonts in the menus; there are lots of messages:
Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkfont.c: line 556 (gdk_text_extents_wc): assertion `(xfont->min_byte1 == 0) && (xfont->max_byte1 == 0)' failed.
* The MS Windows version should not install (as per default) into
"Program Files" (hard coded directory name) but should obey the
local directory configuration (which is already different by default in
non-US version). (Excuse me mentioning this little detail but for me
it's always sort of a nuisance if installation programs don't respect
local settings.)

* I would hope and appreciate if the aim of the project is not to
reproduce MS Word behaviour but rather to make it better. There are
so many junk properties of Word operation, especially in the area
of typography and layout, that it would be very disappointing to see
them all again in such a piece of software.

Best regards,
Thomas Wolff
towo@computer.org