Re: Gnome fe questions

Subject: Re: Gnome fe questions
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 02:10:47 CDT

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, John Tunison wrote:

> _constructWindow will be the same. Is it better to isolate the
> "common" chunks within the UnixDialog class as separate methods and call
> these methods from both UnixDialog and UnixGnomeDialog, or is it ok to
> rearrange the class hierarchy a bit?
>
> The modified hierarchy might look like:
> AP_Dialog_* -> AP_UnixGtkCommonDialog_*
> |
> |-------------> AP_UnixGnomeDialog_*
> |
> |-------------> AP_UnixGtkDialog_*
>
> Let me know which way you'd like it (copy'n'paste, separated
> functions/same hierarchy, or new hierarchy) and I'll get to work putting
> in those GNOME_STOCKs....

I would vote for copy'n'paste because it is one less level of indirection
to think about when designing gtk dialogs. Less thought is good ;-). In
addition as you say, the difference between the gnome and gtk version is
often trivial and easy to implement.

My favourite wished gnome feature after bonobo would be gnome-print so we
can have nifty page previews before printing :-). Feel free to implement
that!

Cheers

Martin