gnome-print thoughts

Subject: gnome-print thoughts
From: John Tunison (nosinut@WIND.REM.CMU.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 15:13:28 CDT

Hi Joaquin,

I'm in the information gathering stage for hacking in gnome-print
support.

Issues:

- Can someone give me a bird's eye explanation of how the current
printing system in Abiword works? Is this even going to be possible? For
the first version, I thought I'd just have Abiword use its existing code
to make a postscript file and figure out how to feed this to the
gnome-print ps backend.

- Where does the new code go? I'd like to put it in
abi/src/af/xap/unix/gnome for consistency's sake, but on the other hand I
think that (unlike the other dialogs), this should _not_ inherit from
XAP_UnixDialog_Print and instead should inherit from
XAP_Dialog_Print. (Because it will share pretty much zero code with the
gtk version.)

Is this (XAP_UnixGnomeDialogPrint : XAP_Dialog_Print in
abi/src/af/xap/unix/gnome) acceptable?

- I know that gnome-print is still not labelled "stable". I'd still like
to have a go at the patch. But should it be integrated into the CVS
tree? (I think? that I read the gnome-print should be released officially
sometime in April? Is this true?)

- Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,
John