Re: patch -- superficial gnome-print support

Subject: Re: patch -- superficial gnome-print support
From: John Tunison (nosinut@WIND.REM.CMU.EDU)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 21:52:36 CDT

Hi Dom,

> > 2) (OT) What does gtk_widget_set_sensitive do? (The gtk docs are oh so
> > complete.)
>
> Say you have a button on your GUI's app. Now say, for some reason, you don't
> want the user to click on that button. This'll do it. Or say you don't want
> them to click on one checkbox or scroll a list of items until some checkbox
> or radiobutton is clicked.

Ah, sounds so simple now. Many thanks.

> This is in production and people really are working on it. Doesn't seem like
> it should take this long, does it?

I don't suppose it's in Gnome CVS? I'm not one to complain about how long
it's taking, but I'd like to help send in patches to speed things up. Do
you know who's maintaining the code?

> As for gnome-print persistance, you can set just about every option that I
> can think of, including page ranges, numbers of copies, etc... I'll attach
> the header file for you from the CVS version of libgnomeprint. Check out
> <libgnomeprint/gnome-print-dialog.h>

Heh, thanks Dom. In fact, looking at libgnomeprint/gnome-print-dialog.h
and gnumeric's printing code is just about the only way to write code at
all because there aren't really any docs.

While you're right that we can set and get those options (page ranges,
numbers of copies), those are just about the only options you can
set. What if I decide to click "Print to File: output.ps"? Or "Print to
printer: lpr1"? There is no way to get at this information directly. Or
even aside from strings, which toggle is chosen, "to file" or "to
printer"?

This is because the gnome_print_dialog was made to be used in conjunction
with the gnome_print printing framework. So the issue of where the
print job goes will disappear when we start using gnome_print_master.

But for persistence, we still need modifications to
gnome_print_dialog. There needs to be a mutator and accessor method for
setting the default printer, for instance.

So, not quite so simple. But definitely doable...

--John