RE: MSC debugging

Subject: RE: MSC debugging
From: Henrik Berg (henrik@lansen.se)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 02:16:27 CDT

> Is there a way to do source level debugging form Microsoft Visual C ?

Yes, I can do it.

> A while back someone mentioned that you could debug with MSVC be opening
> the abiword executable.
> I built it debug and opened it in the Visual Studio but can't set any
> breakpoints or inspect variable. Is there something else that I need to
> do, or is what I want not possible ?

The way I did it was to trap a ASSERT or Access violation, so I could push the Retry or Debug button. This should bring up DevStudio with a project named AbiWord.exe. First DevStudio could not find the source, but directory by directory you could teach DevStudio where the source is.

This should bring up debuging with source. When you exit DevStudio, select Save on the question "do you whant to save the project". This creates a file in the same directory as the AbiWord.exe, and next time you don't need to tell DevStudio where to find the source.

This works on DevStudio 6.0 with AbiWord.exe in the 'C:\Program\AbiSuite\AbiWord\bin' directory (in Swedish windows the name of Program Files is only Program). After each build I (my .sh file) copies the new AbiWord.exe to the above dir.

Good luck!
--hb