Re: Version 0.9.0

Subject: Re: Version 0.9.0
From: sam th (sam@bur-jud-118-039.rh.uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 11:24:00 CDT

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Eric W. Sink wrote:

> > So far, no AbiWord release has gone into double digit patch version. So,
> > with 0.7.9 around the corner, I have drawn up a list of things to do for
> > 0.9.0.
>
> So you don't think 0.7.10 would be an attractive version number? ;-)

Well -

0.1.0 - 0.3.0 3.5 months
0.3.0 - 0.5.0 4.0 months
0.5.0 - 0.7.0 2.5 months
0.7.0 - 0.9.0 11 months and counting (or more than half of the total
time since initial release)

> > - - Finish headers and footers
> > With this, page numbering comes mostly for free
>
> As long as fields are done, right?

Currently, we have the field support to do page numbering. There's a
message in the archives somewhere that mentions how to hack the .abw file
to put them in. I hope we don't break that when we change fields.

> > - - Online Help (or some form of documentation)
> > This should go without saying. We have lots of developer docs
> > (see my webpage) but none for the end user. This should be fixed (an I
> > volunteer to start).
>
> Hmmm. Painful though it might be, this one looks like something which
> could slip from 0.9.0, IMHO. I'm not saying that we don't need online
> help. BTW, I assume you meant that you would volunteer to start on
> the English version, right? ;-)

IMHO, it would be ok if we didn't have online help in 1.0, but we
definitely need *something*. As to the language, I was going to try
Klingon, but I don't think that Unicode supports the char set.

> > - - Bug 167
>
> <laugh/> I hadn't read the bugzilla page for this bug in quite a
> while. Any bug which inspires the reporting of FIVE duplicate bugs
> certainly deserves a close look.

I suspect that there are several more duplicates we haven't found yet,
too. I suppose that lots of bug reports are a sign of user interest. But
I have to admit to prefering 817 bugs to 36933 (the current mozilla
count).

> --
> Eric W. Sink, Software Craftsman
> SourceGear Corporation