Re: Version 0.9.0

Subject: Re: Version 0.9.0
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 01:45:09 CDT

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, sam th wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Eric W. Sink wrote:
>
> > > So far, no AbiWord release has gone into double digit patch version. So,
> > > with 0.7.9 around the corner, I have drawn up a list of things to do for
> > > 0.9.0.
> >
> > > - - Finish headers and footers
> > > With this, page numbering comes mostly for free
> >
> > As long as fields are done, right?
> >

> Currently, we have the field support to do page numbering. There's a
> message in the archives somewhere that mentions how to hack the .abw file
> to put them in. I hope we don't break that when we change fields.

I think that all current fields will have to break which is why "Insert
Field" is only avaialble in the debug version of abiword for windows. I
think we should keep an "insert page number" out of 0.7.9 for the same
reason. We thought that people who could hack in fields by hand could
handle having their documents broken. I don't understand how the new field
system will work probabally because I don't understand how xml works :-)
But there has been a lively discussion and an apparently useful first go
at improved fields.

I have worked on Luke Jordans' list patch. It needs a lot of work. One of
the reasons is because doing an "Insert Field" closes the current font and
size setting and the field automatically chooses the default font and size
to display the list label. I have been working on hacking around this to
make list label choose the font and size of the surrounding text. While
this is a fun hack it clearly not the correct thing to do which is to
enable fields to acquire the font attributes of the surrounding text by
default.

I believe the new field code enables this. So to some extent the lists
feature and the new fields are intertwined. I am not the right
person to work on the new fields code but once it is in place I think I
can use it properly implement lists. I hope to have an updated lists patch
that applies against the current tree within a couple of days.

Cheers

Martin