Re: bi-directional support

Subject: Re: bi-directional support
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 22:26:29 CDT

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

> I have done some more work on the bidi, including proper handling
> of tabs, a small flag on the caret indicating current direction of
> writing and a split caret on boundaries between different directions
> of text. I did not want to post a large patch to the whole mailing list,
> but if anyone is interested, please let me know.
>
> I will soon start working on rendering. (I thought I will implement it
> using an abstract class representing a generic rendering engine so
> that it would be easy to plug in later any engine that one may want
> to use.)

HI Tomas,
         I know very little about unicode and bidi but I was wondering if
you were familiar with the pango project at www.pango.org which aims to
have full unicode and bidi support built into gtk for gtk version 1.4.

I had thought that we would use gtk 1.4 (which will contain pango) to
provide the full internationaliztion of abiword. Can you tell us what your
project will offer that we won't get with gtk 1.4? Is it possible for you
to cooperate with gtk 1.4?

Just some suggestions and a query for more information.

Cheers

Martin