Re: UNIX & Fonts -- the big view

Subject: Re: UNIX & Fonts -- the big view
From: Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 18:47:55 CDT

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Stefan Rieken wrote:

> You are not the only people who are moving font support into the program
> because the system doesn't provide them in a good way. The GIMP has also
> announced that they will render TrueType fonts from within the program
> itself.

Actually, we do make use of X's font system for screen rendering. Our
problem is simply that X's font system is inadequate for high-qulality
layout and printing. We need detailed font metrics, which X does not
provide. To work around that, AbiWord requires that the fonts be available
directly so it can determine the metrics.

Our problem will theoretically be solved (for XFree86 users) with the
implementation of some proposed font extensions to the X protocol, but I'm
no longer expecting that to happen anytime soon.

> This is my proposal:
> - a good font library that would be propagated as the "official" way to
> use quality font rendering in GNOME and KDE,

GNOME will likely both implement a new font subsystem for their
applications. I imagine KDE would likely do the same.

> - selecting only one type to support, looking at quality, but also at
> being supported by X (e.g. postscript fonts (?))

I don't see a reason to only support one type. New X implementations
support TrueType. And while, Type1 (postscript) is a good format, I
believe there are some problems with Unicode mapping and use in CJK
languages (as it's glyph-based). Also, the hinting mechanism is not as
good as TrueType's.

However, Type1 rendering libraries, search for t1lib.

> - making a cool graphical font creator program to enable typophiles
> (like me) to use Linux. I personally would love to be able, for my
> cartoons, to make a font of my own handwriting.

There are a couple of programs I've seen for Linux for designing fonts.
I don't think any work is being done on this currently, but it's a place
to start:

http://www.levien.com/gfonted/

> - one directory to put all that fonts in. Fonts of that one superior
> type. Not an extra xfstt needed. No fp+ rehash blah blah. "Just Gimme
> One Vision."

One could modify the X font server to periodically scan the font
directories for new additions.

> I have been patient about this font stuff for so long, and still nobody
> has stood up to solve it (they're all busy with stuff like GNOME,
> AbiWord, Linux, etc ;-). So I think the best thing I can do now is show
> you my plans, get your feedback, and see what I can do with it, myself.
> (See if people are enthousiast, too.)

I'm not sure who you've contacted so far, but for this problem, you'll
probably want to get input from the GNOME people, as well. Specifically,
I'd contact Raph Levien (who wrote most of the graphic subsystems used in
GNOME). I remember reading some interview with him where he was talking
about GNOME solutions to the font problem. Something lower level which
could be used by GNOME, KDE, or UNIX applications directly would be even
better.

Justin