Re: UNIX & Fonts -- the big view

Subject: Re: UNIX & Fonts -- the big view
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 22:06:44 CDT

At 6:47 PM -0500 4/29/00, Justin Bradford wrote:
> > - selecting only one type to support, looking at quality, but also at
>> being supported by X (e.g. postscript fonts (?))
>
>I don't see a reason to only support one type. New X implementations
>support TrueType. And while, Type1 (postscript) is a good format, I
>believe there are some problems with Unicode mapping and use in CJK
>languages (as it's glyph-based). Also, the hinting mechanism is not as
>good as TrueType's.

        That's why the new OpenType format (<>) courtesy of Adobe,
Microsoft and Apple, is the future of font formats as it addresses
the current limitations of both TrueType and Type 1, while providing
backward compatibility.

>However, Type1 rendering libraries, search for t1lib.

        T1lib is at
<http://www.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/ini/PEOPLE/rmz/t1lib/t1lib.html>
and FreeType (for TrueType rendering) is at
<http://www.freetype.org/old_index.htm>. You might also want to
check out VFLib at <http://TypeHack.aial.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/VFlib/>.

Leonard

                   You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
Leonard Rosenthol      			Internet:       leonardr@lazerware.com
					America Online: MACgician
Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B  AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65