Re: The State of Tinderbox

Subject: Re: The State of Tinderbox
From: Thomas Briggs (tom@sane.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 14:22:15 CDT

> I think that the problem is caused by wv including its own version of
> getopt() (it does this with a couple of string functions too). About 10
> lines into wv/wv.h, wv declares its own version of getopt with a different
> prototype than what your system probably has.

   Actually, you're almost 100% correct. The declaration of getopt() on
wv.h is different than the declaration of getopt() in wv\getopt.h. I did
finally manage to figure that out after emailing you and the list about it
this morning (the old "talk to the duck" trick proves its worth again...)

> I vote that we take out the getopt from wv/wv.h and also remove getopt.c
> from wv/Makefile.abi. This isn't the first time wv's getopt has screwed
> things up (remember the libole2 changeover breakages caused by getopt?),
and
> since the version of wv we build will never use it, I don't see the harm.

   No complaints from me, so long as it doesn't cause further breakage.

   -T