Re: Save file format

Subject: Re: Save file format
From: Paul Warren (pdw@ex-parrot.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 19:56:33 CDT

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 01:42:25AM +0100, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:
>
> > > Would it not be more sensible to make "Automatically Selected" the
> > > default file type when saving a document? IMHO, being able to save a
> > > document in one format whilst the extension suggests another without
> > > at least a confirmation dialog is wrong.
> >
> > I did exactly the same thing. I agree we should use automatically
> > detected as default. If no extension is given it is saved in abiword
> > format.
>
> I actually like the Word behaviour of offering to convert
> the document.
>
> Prefs item?

I don't understand. If you have automatically selected, it will convert
the document according to the extension you give it. All I'm suggesting
is that this, rather than Abiword format should be the default, as this
prevents twits like me sticking a .rtf extension on a file and not
noticing that it is actually saved in Abiword format. I don't mind if
it prompts me to confirm the format - I just don't want it to silently
save a document with a misleading extension.

As Martin points says, no extension or an unknown extension will default
to Abiword format anyway.

Paul