Re: Save file format

Subject: Re: Save file format
From: Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 20:43:26 CDT

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Paul Warren wrote:

> > I actually like the Word behaviour of offering to convert
> > the document.
> >
> > Prefs item?
>
> I don't understand. If you have automatically selected, it will
> convert the document according to the extension you give it.
[..]
> no extension or an unknown extension will default to Abiword format
> anyway.

This is dangerous. Without a Word exporter, if I
Ctrl-S an open Word document, will Abi overwrite it
with XML?

I really think that the default behaviour should be
reluctance to overwrite /any/ non-native file format,
especially at this stage, where major content loss,
is not unlikely (tables being the easy but by no
means solitary target).

It's reassuring that Word export is going to be based
on wv, so that there is, at the very least, a strong
chance that at least Abi will be able to open Abi-
saved Word documents, but this isn't enough to make
me non-reluctant to see Abi write my files without an
"Are you sure?".

Matthew.