XP PS

Subject: XP PS
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 23:35:50 CDT

Sometime in the last day or two, someone mentioned it would be nice to
make the PS stuff XP instead of Unix-ish so that PostScript could be
generated from any platform.

Hmmm. Is that worthwhile? I'm not suggesting that the XP goal in
general is losing it's glamor. I'm just wondering if the conversion
of this existing piece of code is worth the trouble.

Unix is lame in the printer department, depending mostly on
applications to generate the raw printer output. That's mitigated by
the widespread use of Ghostscript to provide variety outside of apps.
OTOH, MSWindows is pretty rich at printer support. The apps just
write to some virtual printer thang, and MSWindows provides the
variety. In particular, if you want to generate PS from Abiword on
MSWindows, it's easy. Just install one of the billions of PS printer
drivers.

The question is, what's the story on the other platforms? Is there
any need for apps to create the PS? For Mac, I'm pretty sure MacOS
takes care of this. What about BeOS and QNX?

(I guess I could figure this out by studing Abi source code to find
the print stuff for those platforms, but it's just soooo much easier
to ask.)