Re: MS Word does NOT do this!

Subject: Re: MS Word does NOT do this!
From: Larry Kollar (kollar@alltel.net)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 04:49:12 CDT

sam th wrote:

[save on crash]
>The fact that no one has ever done this in another significant
>WP mystifies me completely.

LyX does it, or is that not a significant WP?

Also, FrameMaker will *ask* you if you want it to save out a
file if it realizes it's crashing. This works in Un*x (of course)
and in MacOS(!!!), probably Windoze as well. FrameMaker's fallback
position is to create an "autosave" file that gets refreshed every
few minutes; even if the system locks up completely & FM doesn't
have a chance to save, you don't lose more than 5 minutes' or so
worth of work.

In contrast, I've personally lost up to half a day to Word crashes.
Co-workers have had entire chapters corrupted (I recovered most
of the text for them, they had to re-format it though). Three
years ago, I was a *huge* Word fan; nowadays I avoid it as much
as I can.

        Larry