Re: XP PS

Subject: Re: XP PS
From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 09:29:15 CDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael D. Crawford" <crawford@goingware.com>
To: <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 12:38 PM

| Cross-platform postscript would be extraordinarily valuable for a number
| of reasons:

I agree. I would love to be able to output "pure" PostScript on Windows. A
'Write[/Print] [to] PostScript' menu-item on the 'File' menu?

| - publishing to imagesetters
| - publishing to PDF documents

As Leonard Rosenthol mentioned, using PDFMarks would be very useful. PDF is
frequently used for distributing documents (reports, dissertations) originally
written in MS Word. Using PDFMarks, you can create clickable table of contents
(when the TOC feature is implemented in AW). Many people will appreciate this.

We can also create outline entries for the navigation pane in Acrobat Reader
using PDF Marks. I have the _pdfmark Reference Manual_ (in PDF format!) if
anybody's interested in trying to implement this.

| - the postscript generated on the BeOS blows donkey dinks.

Well, Windows' PostScript output is also not great, a bit--bloated ...

| It a
| humongous postscript file of a bitmap, more suitable for printing on an
| inkjet printer than a laser printer. Basically they punted when they
| wrote the PS printer driver
|
| Yes, some platforms have the ability to generate postscript from the
| printer driver, but with the BeOS being an extreme example, I'm sure any
| platform will definitely demonstrate that you get better postscript if
| you print directly to postscript then transport it to your postscript
| device without going through a printer driver.

Yes. One example is Lout, a document formatting system (similar to TeX), which
outputs PostScript (or PDF). It creates very nice output (and more compact and
elegant than TeX's which first creates a DVI and then converts the DVI to PS).

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer