Re: Two patches, and a file to remove

Subject: Re: Two patches, and a file to remove
From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 09:14:29 CDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Vermeer" <martin.vermeer@fgi.fi>
To: <abiword-dev@abisource.com>; <patches@abisource.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 11:41 AM
Subject: Two patches, and a file to remove

| Hi, here are three (small) contributions.
|
| 1. The attached patch corrects some LaTeX output symbols that
| should be in math mode (surrounded by $$), and adds
| 0x201e = "below double quote" as a symbol. Furthermore \ldots
| was implemented for 0x2026.

Great!

| I also added 0x201e to the HTML output. My browsers don't render &bdquote;

You mean &bdquo;, right? &bdquote; is not a valid character reference.

| as they are supposed to -- seems to be pretty new. So I chose ,, for
| representation.

Not so great. If your browser doesn't render U+201E, then that's a problem with
your browser (or your fonts). My browser (Mozilla M17) does, and most future
browsers will. Mozilla (and Navigator 6) renders the U+201E character correctly,
even if you use a font which doesn't have a glyph for it (a glyph from another
font is used). IE 5(.5) renders it if the font has a glyph for the character.
Lynx renders it as a ". The solution for is not to use ',,' as this will cause
several problems. One is that it's not the right character, and therefore
doesn't *look* very good (similar to using << for «).

The most serious problem is that it *loses* information. When the U+201E
character is converted to ',,' we have no way of knowing what the original
character was. ,, is not the same as U+201E, and browsers won't treat it the
same way. A couple of examples:

1) If a quote starts with U+201E, but the U+201E character is replaced by ',,',
the ',,' will be be treated as two commas, which won't look very good if the
quote starts at an end of line:

Fsdjfklasdjrt dajtksdjtk ds tdsktldsjtksdljlkt jdskltjdskljtk dst ,,
quoted text´´ fgfdggfdg.

Instead of:

Fsdjfklasdjrt dajtksdjtk ds tdsktldsjtksdljlkt jdskltjdskljtk dst
,,quoted text´´ fgfdggfdg. [Where ,, is U+201E].

2) Speech browsers. Speech browsers (using speech synthesis to read web pages)
won't be able to make sense of two commas, but they will be able to make sense
of the U+201E quotation mark (e.g. by using a higher pitch when reading the
quote).

What I've written here goes for *all* Unicode characters. There's no need
"reduce" them to similar-looking characters.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer