Re: GNOME Foundation.

Subject: Re: GNOME Foundation.
From: sam th (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 23:44:41 CDT

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:

> Just so that you all know, I personally do NOT want to be on the
> committee. I would like someone from Abi there though.
>
> Is this something we should talk about?

Well, I *am* willing to volunteer for this job. I think it vitally
important for AbiWord to be represented, for several reasons

1) AbiWord is one of the few GNOME office applications not developed in
house (along with the GIMP). This means that we already have much less of
a voice than say the Gnumeric folks.

2) Despite being the only GNOME-enabled WP around, we could be much more
integrated with GNOME, which would be a very good thing. However, we
can't let this ompromise our XP capability.

3) GNOME is planning to move forward with the integration of StarOffice
into GNOME. this means that, for example, Gnumeric and StarCalc plan to
merge (the direction of the merge is currently unknown). This means that
GNOME may be considering replacing us with StarWriter as a part of their
office suite. Personally, I bet we will get Bonobo capability before
StarOffice, but you never know.

For all there reasons, we very much need a voice. As I said, I volunteer,
but there may be others more qualified (our GNOME developers, for
example). However, this is important for AbiWord as a part of GNOME.

                                sam th
                                sam@uchicago.edu
                                http://www.abisource.com/~sam