Re: american.hash

Subject: Re: american.hash
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 11:04:22 CDT

tim> Is there anything keeping you from using CVS? Speaking for myself
tim> only, I have never used those files(*tar.gz) to build abi, so for
tim> all I know they are broken. I use the CVS system and it works

The nightly tarballs are not broken. I use them several times a
week. However, they are not complete enough to build the product.
That's more of a "readme" flaw than a problem with the tarballs. To
get going, you should do this:

1. [[One time]] download and install the latest released binaries.
This will put all the run-time stuff in place on your system.

2. [[One time]] Follow the steps on the developer page and build the
sources for the 0.7.10 release. It's a long and tedious recipe, but I
can tell you from experience that there aren't many optional steps.
Depending on what you have installed on your Linux system, you may
already have some of the external libraries installed. NB: Where it
says you need library such-and-such, it generally means you need the
development package for that library, too.

3. Copy the shell script called "abiword" and change the path near
the top to point to the binaries that get built in your source tree.
Then you can run things without doing the "make install" step, which
means you can have the 0.7.10 released version and whatever you built
on your own on your machine without problems.

4. Now, any time you want to build from the nightly tarballs, just
download them, replace the appropriate part of your source tree from
step 2, and build. It is not generally necessary to download the wv*
tarball. If you are following the dev list, you'll hear when there
are changes to it. The main tarball changes every day.

The builds do sometimes get broken, but they are seldom broken for
long, especially for Linux. Things outside the main tree and tarball
seldom change at all.