Re: Re Mightly Builds

Subject: Re: Re Mightly Builds
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 00:03:09 CDT

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 05:40:58PM -0400, Thomas Briggs wrote:

> Hrm... that makes the score:
>
> PKZip: 2
> Aaron: 0

Uhhm... I don't get it.

Some files in the distribution were zipped for distribution and
immediately unzipped by the makefiles for installation. This seemed
silly to me as these files are distributed compressed anyway (tarball,
zip or cvs -z3) so you gain nothing by the repetitive compression. I
didn't really care about the repetitiveness, but I didn't have unzip
installed and I didn't want to get it just so I could install AbiWord,
especially when the files were zipped for no reason that I can see.

Theoretically this should be an improvement for Windows too, as unzip
is no longer required and there is no extra step of unzipping
already-compressed files. If I messed something up for the Windows
build, please let me know as I have no way of seeing how things will
turn out on proprietary, non-free platfroms that I do not agree to the
licenses of.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. By the logic of
compressing the dictionary files, wouldn't it make sense to zip every
single .cpp file and have them unzipped at compile-time by the
makefiles?