RE: Commit: Re: notes on smart quote implementation (fwd)

Subject: RE: Commit: Re: notes on smart quote implementation (fwd)
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 10:37:09 CDT

        #2 seems to me to be the most logical solution - a bit messy
to implement (getting all the installation stuff right), but it
definitely sounds good in terms of "doing the right thing".

        You may also want to consider #4 and 1 anyway, since someone
at sometime will use a different font and better job we can do to
find a match, the better. I would consider a configuration file, ala
Ghostscript, Xpdf, etc.

>You're right. I think that if we use the gnome-font package and then
>the anti-aliased GnomeCanvas, we'll get tremendous screen
>output(like how the gnumeric-heads brag that recent Gnumeric builds
>render better than Excel). But how do I do this and not break stuff?

        Another option in terms of getting anti-aliased text w/o
having to go all the way to gnome-font would be to use something like
FreeType2, which supports VERY nice anti-aliased rendering of both
Type 1 and TrueType fonts. I just did some work with it recently to
integrate it with libart, and it's pretty easy to work with and gives
GREAT results. This way you avoid using XDrawString() entirely!

Leonard

                   You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
Leonard Rosenthol      			Internet:       leonardr@lazerware.com
					America Online: MACgician
Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B  AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65