Curiosity compiling 0.7.12 for AIX

Subject: Curiosity compiling 0.7.12 for AIX
From: Roland Kunz (R.Kunz@rz.uni-frankfurt.de)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 08:37:11 CST

Hi folks,

I almost managed to compile abiword for AIX but I found some interesting
things I can not
resolv *clean* (means: I use dirty tricks...)

1.) In fl_BlockLayout.cpp:
g++ tells me there is no definition vor usleep() , but there is. Somehow
the different levels of includes
( comming from #include ut_sleep.h, which includes unistd.h ) are
ignored. It won4 t even work if I put
the #inlcude <unistd.h> at the end of all includes.
Dirty trick:
#if defined __AIX__
extern int usleep();
#endif

2.) app_UnixApp.cpp
Nearly the same, this time the defines for SA_NODEFER and SA_RESETHAND
are unknown, but they
are defined in an include file. Trick: Put them in the file itself
#ifndef SA_NODEFER
#define SA_NODEFER 0x00000200
#endif

#ifndef SA_RESETHAND
#define SA_RESETHAND 0x00000002
#endif

3.) Linker tells me, there is no .iconv_close and some other stuff from
the libiconv. Inspecting linger
output shows a missin -liconv, I puted it by hand in aix.mk (again a
trick )

4.) I wonder which should be the AIX-specific defines, I found AIX as
well as __AIX__

5.) Because some of our libs are in /opt I have set: export
LOCALBASE=/opt which seems to
be the Variable for additional libpath - am i right ? In this case, what
if I have lets say /opt and /store ??

Because I feel this dirty tricks are not the way of clean programming I
ask you for some advice to
overcome this problems. Perhaps I misunderstand the use of the aix.mk
file?

Thankx,

Roland

--
Dipl. phys. Roland Kunz, (CATE)
Hochschulrechenzentrum Frankfurt, Germany