Re: Colormap Problem

Subject: Re: Colormap Problem
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 11:07:01 CST

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Kevin Mills wrote:

> Thank you for the information Vlad. I upgraded from
>
> gtk+-1.2.5-2 (standard with Rhat 6.1)
> gtk+-1.2.6-1 (update to Rhat 6.1)
>
> It has not completely fixed the colormap problem, but has made it easier on
> the
> eyes. Every time I start abiword, it comes up with a random color scheme, but
> none
> of them are 'electric' colors anymore. So, I can now word process without
> sunglasses. Thanks again for the information.

 It's very strange - I have gtk-1.2.3 installed (AFAIR) and don't have any
sight of this problem.
  May be you should try using another background image with less colors or try
another window manager? But in general my suggestion for you to use VNC
software - you can run normal X session inside of the window (and it works
fine unlike X nest) and your primary display bit depth needn't be equal to the
bit depth of "nested X session" window (i.e. you run your X server @16 bit and
start VNC server (that looks like X server for apps) running with 8bit depth
and use VNC viewer that displays content of the VNC server's screen in your
primary X session as a window.

> Kevin Mills
>

> Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Kevin Mills wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I also run RH6.0. Just tried to use AW on 8bpp display. I don't see any
> > 'electric colors' as on your screen shot, independant of the window manager
> > (I tried KWM too) and order of starting netscape and AW I use. Everything
> > is OK for for such bpp. But I have more fresh version of gtk (1.2.3) compared
> > to the one shipped with RH6.0 (and pre-0.7.12 version of AW, though it seems
> > there were any changes in the area of colormap handling).
> >
> > So most probably it's old gtk issue. Please try upgrading it and reporting
> > results. Also you can try 0.7.12 AW (get it from
> > www.abisource.com/dev/binaries/).
> >

> > > I have my system running 8 bit color (Redhat 6.0). I have to have
> > > this configuration so that specific
> > > applications that I display remotely from my work (on Solaris) display
> > > properly. This has a side affect
> > > with abiword though in that the display comes up with 'electric'
> > > colors. I scanned the FAQ section and
> > > could not see any reference to this color. Then again, I may the only
> > > person using LINUX with 256
> > > colors. Anyway, is there a way to configure AbiWord so that the screen
> > > is in grescale, or uses 'best color'.
> > > If I start Netscape first, the screen backgroun is better than if no
> > > other application is running. If I don't
> > > start netscape first, the background of AbiWord is 'hot purple'. Any
> > > help would be appreciated because
> > > it does function fine and does everything I need (version 0.7.11) Here
> > > is a screen capture showing how
> > > it looks AFTER netscape is running.
> > >
> > > Kevin
> >
> > Best regards,