Re: Darn

Subject: Re: Darn
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 09:53:24 CST

WJCarpenter wrote:
> al> # what the hell? Abiword seems to love setting my preferences to
> al> # defaults every time it runs.
[...]
> If my guess is correct, two different factors are conspriring
> to confuse you (and, I daresay, other users).

Your guess seems to be correct. The user in me got really confused when my
settings didn't persist (way back). The developer in me fixed it by manually
editing the config file and then I forgot about it. Now that the issue has
been brought up again, I consider this no less than a data-loss bug.

> Part of this is probably
> mis-design, but there is at least one true bug.

Looking at the desing of the preferences dialog, I'd say it has the Amiga
notion of "OK" and "Save", i.e. when you select OK it only applies the
changes to this session. You have to select Save to make the changes
persist. From a (by now infamous) "church secretary" [1] POV I'd say that OK
is a confirmation. Not getting this behaviour back when starting a new
"session" (a new AW process or just opening a new AW window) would be
confusing. What about let these buttons change place with eachother and
renaming "OK" to "Save" or something like that?

1. Why "church secretary"? Are they extremely dumb, incompetent, in
abundance wherever this concept first surfaced, ignorant or was the one
starting the use of this concept very religious?

/Mike - please don't cc