Re: Drawing performance (was Re: Bidirectional support)

Subject: Re: Drawing performance (was Re: Bidirectional support)
From: ha shao (hashao@chinese.com)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 22:35:07 CST

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 09:37:06AM -0500, leonardr@lazerware.com wrote:
> At 3:25 AM +0100 12/15/00, Mike Nordell wrote:
>
> >I think that supporting top-down-first instead of left-right-first would
> >take some effort. Also, top-down vs. left-right doesn't (AFAIK) follow the
> >same convetions regarding breaking of "lines". Am I wrong?
>
> I believe that the same conventions for line breaking apply,
> which in the case of CJK don't use "white space" anyway, but a more
> complex set of rules.

I don't know if it is more complex set of rules. :) For Chinese, you
just break at any characters except punctuations. Japanese should be
the same and it is said that Korean line breaking is just like the
English one.

Anyway, for top-down layout, either switch the coordinate when do
layout (for the whole page which is set to top-down), or for a 'top-
down' region in the page...the same, switch the coordinate.

The only thing is that Xlib does not support top-down text drawing now. So
if we have to do this, we will need to draw one char at a time and
rotate punctuations and latin characters in a top-down drawing.

--
Best regard
hashao