Drawing performance (was Re: Bidirectional support)

Subject: Drawing performance (was Re: Bidirectional support)
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 08:37:06 CST

At 3:25 AM +0100 12/15/00, Mike Nordell wrote:
>The drawing performance is already horrible. Not to mention the quality. At
>least in Win32 the next line overwrites the bottom pixels from the previous
>line.

        That sounds like you are using the wrong (or no) leading
information to determine the line spacing information.

>I think this displays a more serios problem we have, when displaying a line
>with a string (1 or more) characters of the same type (font and so on) we
>should bunch this together as a "writeText" operation, not write every char
>ourselves. That makes AW dog-slow (I know, I've been doing some performance
>tests).

        BIG TIME!

        Not only is doing a single "writeText" faster, BUT it also
allows glyph rendering engines to do fancy things like subpixel
positioning, ligiturization, etc.

>I think that supporting top-down-first instead of left-right-first would
>take some effort. Also, top-down vs. left-right doesn't (AFAIK) follow the
>same convetions regarding breaking of "lines". Am I wrong?

        I believe that the same conventions for line breaking apply,
which in the case of CJK don't use "white space" anyway, but a more
complex set of rules.

Leonard

                   You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
Leonard Rosenthol      			Internet:       leonardr@lazerware.com
					America Online: MACgician
Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B  AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65