Re: Bidirectional support

Subject: Re: Bidirectional support
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 20:25:15 CST

Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> and it does impact the drawing performance at least a bit. What do
> you guys think?

The drawing performance is already horrible. Not to mention the quality. At
least in Win32 the next line overwrites the bottom pixels from the previous
line. This is most easily tested with spell checking turned on, writing
jibberish that does get "squiggle", starting writing on a new line and watch
those squiggles get partially overwritten. You can also find these errors by
just typing "spell-legal" words, but where the glyphs overlap. The last one
just writes over the previous one.
I think this displays a more serios problem we have, when displaying a line
with a string (1 or more) characters of the same type (font and so on) we
should bunch this together as a "writeText" operation, not write every char
ourselves. That makes AW dog-slow (I know, I've been doing some performance
tests).

Could be that Win32 is especially bad, but somehow I think this is the norm.
:-(

I think that supporting top-down-first instead of left-right-first would
take some effort. Also, top-down vs. left-right doesn't (AFAIK) follow the
same convetions regarding breaking of "lines". Am I wrong?
Looking at the size and difference between "western" and "asian" language
editions of S/W, I'd say we try to keep these changes in separate source
files.

Just my 0.02.

/Mike - please, please, don't cc