Re: General performance [was: drawing performance]

Subject: Re: General performance [was: drawing performance]
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 15:05:11 CST

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 03:51:05PM -0500, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> >Just going to strcmp by tiself is likely to be a problem, since there
> >are old .abw documents that use uppercase for attributes. However, we
> >ought to be able to take advantage of the short-circut or and do
> >something like this:
> >
> >if (strcmp(propName, footer) || strcmp(propName, FOOTER))
> >
> >There should be no mixed case attributes in the wild, so this
> >shouldn't break any non-handcrafted documents. And it would be lots
> >faster.
>
> Supporting uppercase attributes should be abandoned and my next patch will
> abandon it forever. It is *bad* XML.

> Supporting uppercase should be considered a bug. The file format is not set
> in stone and not yet at 1.0. Documents with these settings tend to be very
> old ones or hand-crafter anyway.

Well, I'm not sure how old the change is, but I don't see a good
reason for making these documents unimportable. Dealing with them
shouldn't be too much work, and people should be able to upgrade
easily enough. If you are going to do this, it might be preferable to
give people an option, either at compile time or at import time (like
old rtf). We don't want documents to be obsolete and unusable.

                                sam th
                                sam@uchicago.edu
                                http://www.abisource.com/~sam
                                GnuPG Key: