Performance issues: an update

Subject: Performance issues: an update
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 16:12:40 CST

I thought that I'd let people know my progress with regard to performance:

I changed most of the UT_stricmp()s to UT_strcmp() where acceptable (which
is #defined to strcmp() so don't get your pants in a bunch). I made
pp_Properties.cpp use a binary search, and I made the XML importers use a
binary search for mapping tags to integer ids. I also optimized the Unix
Font and Unix Graphic classes. Others should do the same for their
respective platforms.

The end result: we're (relatively to any other Abi version) lightning fast.
Abi-CVS-HEAD with debugging symbols is substantially faster than 0.7.12
*without* debugging symbols (and all of the slowdowns that UT_DEBUGMSG
causes). I call this release "gtk+ can scroll" because for the first time
ever, you can actually scroll reasonably well on the GTK+ platform.
Importing of XML documents (including ABW) is *hugely* sped up as well as
exporting of XML documents. And this is all on a debug build ;)

This speed up now draws my attention to other slow points:

1) GR_(Unix|Gnome|PS)Graphics::setFont() is ineffecient
2) UT_vector is fscking slow!!! ***** this is the biggest slowdown *****
3) The timer thing that Martin mentioned
4) Aaron L's isCharSubscript() problem
5) UT_bytebuf is probably too slow for our needs in its current form and
usage (Try importing Word docs with images to see what I mean). Perhaps come
up with a STL replacement??
6) (pick your favorite other slowdown...)

I'll commit this tonight after work and before studying for exams.
Hopefully, I'll be able to get the setFont() thing fixed too. Aaron and Sam
are working on the STL UT_vector replacement I think. Hopefully it'll speed
things up some more.

Dom