Re: patch: BiDirectional support

Subject: Re: patch: BiDirectional support
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 16:14:14 CST

Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com> wrote:
>I notice many gints and other glib variables in fribidi_tables.i.
>These probably wouldn't work on Windows or other platforms. I suggest
>that they should be changed to ints since gints are stupidly defined
>to ints anyway (I don't know why anyone types the extra 'g' just to
>get less ANSI-compatable).

These should go and be replaced by UT_Xint32 where X is either 'u' for
unsigned or 's' for signed. BTW, I don't think that the 'g' is any less
ANSI-compatible than our "UT_" stuff. Actually, IIRC, all ANSI says is that:

sizeof(char) <= sizeof(short) <= sizeof(int) <= sizeof(long)

gints (and gint32, gint16, etc..) *insure* the size of their datatype. gint
is *always* 32 bits. All ANSI says is that an int is at least as big as a
char, which means that your ints may be 8 bits (ick). Try this on a 16-bit
palm pilot... So the correct solution here is to use our UT typedefs and
#defines.

Dom