Re: [Patch] Psiconv TextEd and Word importer

Subject: Re: [Patch] Psiconv TextEd and Word importer
From: Jesper Skov (jskov@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 12:56:23 CST

>>>>> "Frodo" == Frodo Looijaard <frodol@dds.nl> writes:

Frodo> By the way, for those interested: the reason that I started
Frodo> with importing support in libpsiconv (which is usually more
Frodo> difficult than exporting), is simple: the Psion file formats
Frodo> were nowhere documented. The amusing part of it is that Psion
Frodo> itself claimed that they 'did not have it and could not create
Frodo> it because there was no file format at all': streams are used
Frodo> to write the files. They seemingly think that a computer can
Frodo> automagically figure out what all those streams mean, where
Frodo> they start and where they stop, but that it is impossible for a
Frodo> human to do so, or for any other computer program except their
Frodo> own importer. They were wrong ;-)

Been there, done that :) May I suggest that you let Psion know of
your reverse engineering? That may prompt them to release the full
spec - at least that's what Konica did after I reverse engineered
their camera protocol (amusingly, they also didn't have the protocol
documented anywhere until after I'd hacked my way through it).

Jesper