Re: LaTex Tables?

Subject: Re: LaTex Tables?
From: Jeffry Smith (smith@missioncriticallinux.com)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2000 - 12:11:39 CST

> Sorry, but I disagree. In LaTeX is rather easy to do
> simple tables, but if you want to do a complex table,
> then you're in troubles.

OK, I haven't found problems, but I probably haven't done complex tables like
you are thinking about.

> > If there's interest, I'll look at the AbiWord XML
> > definition & some of the
> > XHTML ones, see what coding may make sense to
> > convert LaTeX into an AbiWord
> > specification.
>
> ?? I'm not aware of any AbiWord specification. Do
> you mean convert the LaTeX table's format to XML to
> embed it in an AbiWord file? It will be impossible,
> because (among many other things) LaTeX uses some
> chars to format tables that are reserved by XML (like
> the `&' char).

I know there isn't an AbiWord spec. I was thinking about the start of one.
My idea was to take the concepts that LaTeX has, and translate them into XML.
Obviously, the concepts have to be specified in correct XML (which I'm
learning as a part of this project). I've actually started doing this, and am
drafting up something to propose. My comment about using the AbiWord
specification was to see how other things were specified, and make my
definitions in the same "form."

> Anyway I don't think that it's a smart idea. I think
> that something like the HTML tables will fit better.

I may not understand HTML tables that well, but where are they better than
LaTeX? LaTeX tables can have cells spanning rows & columns, differing
borders, and the tables can be made to float, as well as in-line. Headers &
Footers of the tables are also supported. Be aware that LaTeX is NOT LyX (I
like LyX, but it's table handling is lousy, to be charitable). TeX and LaTeX
were designed for precise publication of technical documents (specifically,
Knuth designed TeX to typeset his books).

jeff